Raddington and Batherm
The majority of Dave’s photographs were taken within 200 metres of home in the ancient parish of Raddington 300 feet high above sea level on the edge of the Brendons. Kingston Farmhouse, or home, is the other side of a small valley to Kingston Copse which is now an area of managed woodland. Running through this steep sided valley is the Batherm tributary which flows through to Raddington bottom and joins the Batherm river at Blackwell. Always fast flowing, sometimes shallow enough for the terrier to wade through, sometimes you need actual waders, but always crystal clear through to the pebbled bed.
Raddington does not seem ever to have had a central village but rather scattered settlements through medieval times. Raddington land was once given by King Alfred to his companion and the two estates of Raddington and Chubworthy have an illustrious overlord history, including mention of Queen Eleanor. Kingston Farm appears to have been one of some 19 separate holdings in the parish by the end of the 18th Century, many with live in servants, with the church on the high end of the valley in place by 1262. Pasture grazing land, some known as “furzy”, has long accounted for the majority of the land use. Sheep and cows continue to far out number parish residents.